Individuals planning to obtain a Kentucky real estate license or activate an existing real estate license must request a copy of their national criminal history check prior to registering for the real estate exam or submitting their activation paperwork. There are two options for obtaining a national criminal history check:
The report is mailed to you and the average processing time is one week.
Kentucky State Police
1266 Louisville Road
Frankfort, KY 40601
KSP Report Guide
the report is mailed to KREC and the average processing time is 1-2 weeks.
Fingerprint cards can be obtained from the following sources:
- KREC- 500 Mero Street 2NE09, Frankfort, KY 40601 (During Business Hours)
- Education Providers- providers will have a supply of cards to hand out
- Your local real estate board office
We strongly recommend that you obtain your fingerprints at a local law enforcement agency (police station, sheriff's office, etc.) Note: The Kentucky State Police charge $10 for fingerprinting.
- All FBI reports expire 90 days after the report date of issuance.
- The KREC cannot issue a license without a valid FBI report.
- You have 60 days to apply for your license after successfully passing the exam.