Individuals actively licensed in good standing in another state may obtain a Kentucky license through the License Recognition process.
Requirements for License Recognition:
- Must be actively licensed as a sales associate or broker in good standing in another state.
- Must apply for a license with same equivalent status as currently licensed in the qualifying jurisdiction.
Each state uses their own license status title based on their laws. A broker
in one state may not be the equivalent of a broker in another state.
The following is a chart of states, their license status titles, the equivalent status
for a Kentucky license, and the exam required.
If you have a question about a state not listed below and its equivalent status in
Kentucky, please contact the Commission directly.
(If you take the wrong test, it will be voided.)
Equivalent Kentucky License Status and Exam.pdf
Steps to obtain a license through license recognition:
- Complete a criminal background check with the FBI as prescribed by the Kentucky Real Estate Commission. Please refer to the Criminal Background Check information. FBI reports expire six (6) months from the date issued.
- Obtain a Certificate of Licensure from any and all states in which the applicant is or has ever been licensed. (Copies of licenses are not accepted when applying for a license.) Certificates of Licensure expire ninety (90) days from the date issued. Be sure to make copies of the certificate. You will be required to submit a copy of the certificate to the testing service the day of the exam and one to the Commission when you apply for your license.
- Pass the License Recognition Exam (Kentucky state law portion) for a sales or broker's license.
- Complete the exam score report/application received from the testing center and submit to the Commission along with the FBI report, certificate of licensure(s), $60 license fee and E & O insurance (either the group E & O prorated amount if purchasing Commission E & O or a check for $10 and a certificate of coverage form #500 if private E & O.)
Do not send items in separately to the Commission's office. A complete packet must be received or items will be returned to you.
Principal Broker applicants must also:
- Maintain an escrow account at a Kentucky Bank. Verification of the account must be made on the application form. Applicants will receive their application from the testing service after passing the examination.
Testing Service Information
- Contact PSI to register and schedule an examination at www.psiexams.com or call PSI at 800-733-9267.
- Be sure to schedule the License Recognition Examination and which examination either sales associate or broker depending on the type of license currently held. License recognition applicants must apply in the same capacity in which they are currently licensed. If you have questions regarding your status, contact the Commission at 502-429-7250. If you take the wrong test, it will be voided.
- License recognition examination school code will be 9999.
- Candidates applying under license recognition must bring a copy of their license or Certificate of Licensure to the test center to be administered the state portion of the examination. If you do not provide the test center with the required copy, you will not be allowed to take the examination and you will forfeit the examination fee.
- Applicants should review the KREC Law Manual.
- Applicants should print the Criminal Background Check document which addresses the specifics of the process.